Friday, January 7, 2011

Kyle Lightner, Photography, and Orange County As It Should Be Seen

[Tanner Prairie, Costa Mesa 11-10, ©Kyle Lightner ]


Today's Inspiration? Kyle Lightner, photographer extraordinaire.


[ Kyle Lightner in action, ©Mikey Detemple ]


I feel like every time I tell someone I'm from Orange County, they get that look in their eye... instantaneous disgust. That's because the Orange County they know and despise is the one they've become acquainted with via shows like The Real Housewives of Orange County, The O.C., Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County, and even the wonderfully satirical Arrested Development. But there is this whole other, not so terrible, and in fact even wonderful, side of Orange County. I feel like Kyle Lightner's photography embodies that other side. Surfing, skating, music, cars, bikes, beaches, crusty venues, grimy diners, punk kids, leathery old beach bums, tattoos, friends - he captures that golden Southern California spirit. I think I'm going to start to photograph my subjects in their native habitats, be it beach, bar or barbershop. I'm realizing more and more that that is the kind of artwork that I enjoy most. So why not give it a go?


Check out some of Kyle's photos below. But this is just the tip of the iceberg my friends. For more, visit his website here or his blog here



- Amy
Listening to: Black Sabbath's "Changes"




[ September 4th, 2010, ©Kyle Lightner ]

[ Robin Kegel, ©Kyle Lightner ]

Jared & Jonathan Mattson, Pacific Beach CA. 2010, ©Kyle Lightner ]

[ December 17th, 2010, ©Kyle Lightner ]

Some work for Vans, ©Kyle Lightner ]

Tyler Painting, ©Kyle Lightner ]

[ August 24th, 2010, ©Kyle Lightner ]



[Gross Negligence Last Show, Fullerton CA. – 10/02/10©Kyle Lightner ]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails