Sunday, November 21, 2010

PG-13 Dioramas, Vintage Movie Posters, and More Design

[Front of the LN Directory Postcard.]

[Back of Postcard.]

Here's a postcard I designed to advertise the 2011 Laguna Niguel Directory. The company I work for has been designing it for the last two years, so the design team and I thought it would be fun to make the postcard into a movie poster announcing the sequel of last years directory. I got nominated for the task, while they worked on other ideas. Here's how I did it: I used wikimedia commons and found a copyright free image of a cowboy from a vintage movie poster, then erased out the background and created my own using the paintbrush tool along with other copyright free images I found on wikimedia of dark stormy nights. I found some old movie posters with great type treatment for inspiration, then headed over to dafont.com to find some vintage looking fonts to use on my own poster. I used the envelope distort tool a lot with lot with the text to get the arched 3D look. 


I clone stamped the faces of the cowboys out so I could write "your face here" on them. Which I thought was very clever of me. [*Gives herself a pat on the back.*] The whole idea is that your business could be one of the stars of the sequel to the LN Directory if you advertise in it. 


Part of my inspiration for this was I had just been introduced to the work of photography/diorama-maker-extraordinaire, Thomas Allen, by my dear art-loving friend Oscar. You're probably thinking, "A grown man making dioramas?" Yes, and they're the most bad ass dioramas you never saw at your 3rd grade parent-teacher night. These are PG-13 images full of violence, lust, and suspicion. Check some of his work out below. I tried finding some old books at Books Etc. the day I saw this so I could make my own, but it is really hard to find good old books with illustrations for cheap! If you find any, let me know. 


[Chemistry, 2006. 24 x 20 inches. Chromogenic print.]

[Breathtaking, 2006. 24 x 20 inches. Chromogenic print.]

[Mate, 2006. 24 x 20 inches. Chromogenic print.]

[Knockout, 2006. 24 x 20 inches. Chromogenic print.]

[Three commissioned works Allen did for various magazines.]

[Hindsight, 2006. 24 x 20 inches. Chromogenic print.]

[Distraction, 2006. 24 x 20 inches. Chromogenic print.]

[Unreachable, 2006. 24 x 20 inches. Chromogenic print.]

- Amy
Listening to: Van Morrison's "And It Stoned Me"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails