Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chit Chatting with Lauren Conrad, Off The Record, and More Delectable Design



[A layout for my Off The Record Q&A Column in The OC Gazette. Click to Enlarge.]

This will be a short post. I realized, I am a designer and I really don't post that much of my design work, so I present to you the first of many "Delectable Design" installations on this blog. Disclaimer: I do realize that I am a biased observer in this scenario and that my design may not seem "delectable" to all parties. But I'm all I've got for now! I will also warn you that most of it is editorial layout, which is sometimes a little limiting in the creative department. 


The long and short of this layout is that it's an interview I did with Lauren Conrad for my monthly Off The Record column in The OC Gazette magazine. Off The Record is my baby in the magazine. I get to hunt down interesting people in or from OC and try to get them to chit chat and shoot the shit with me for a little bit. Then I take our convo and cut and edit it and we run it as a fun Q&A. I have a blast with it. I've got to talk to some of the most amazing and interesting people. My top two have got to be Dick Dale and Ron Artest. They were great because they had no inhibitions and weren't wary of the press, so they just talked as much as I would let them. It was actually hard to get a word in edgewise! It's so much nicer when they are chatty rather than having to poke and prod for some sort of a real response. 


Lauren Conrad was one of those people I swore I'd never interview because she was "just a reality tv show B-list celeb." But we got really desperate one month for an interview so I contacted her people and sure enough they were nice enough to comply and I got to eat humble pie. Lauren is a really professional and driven young lady. I mean, she has three clothing lines, she's a two-time best selling novelist, and she's only 24. Having just turned 24 on Halloween, I have to admit that my resume looks a little lacking when compared to that.


Anyways, I also laid this piece out. I prefer Adobe Illustrator to InDesign since my design style is heavy on the graphics. I hate going between Illustrator and InDesign, so I'd rather just do all of it in Illustrator, even though it's a little slower with the text. Speaking of design, it's off to work for me. Enjoy your Thursday!


- Amy
Listening to: Phil Collins' "Can't Stop Loving You" (so cheesy, but soooo good.)


2 comments:

  1. Amy: Screw the resume. Take a page out of Lauren's book. Put your stuff out there. We'll let you know if it's not "delectable." BTW, great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great interview kid! hope you do more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails