Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Mixed Tape League, Myspace Music Trolling, and How Music Saved My Mortal Soul


My clever friend Zak Schultz had this ingenious idea to start what he called a "Mixed Tape League." 12 members, 12 months, 12 new mixed tapes. Instead of scowering myspace, going from band page to band page to find something new and exciting for your bored-to-death-of-the-same-ole-tunes eardrums, you just look in your mailbox every month for your monthy mixed tape/cd brimming with new music.  Here's a little art project I did for the cover art of my mixed tape. The theme was "Do you believe in Rock N' Roll?/Can music save your mortal soul?" the great line from "American Pie." The song not the movie. Knowing the general age range of my reader demographic, I just want to clarify on that one. I made it using a paper stencil I cut out and spraypaint. Note: paper stencils suck. Try using wax paper or cardboard if you can. Otherwise the stencil starts disintegrating halfway into your project like mine did.

My Mixed Tape track listing:
1. "Home" - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
2. "My Father's Gun" - Elton John
3. "If Only You Were Lonely" - The Replacements
4. "She's Already Gone" - The Shys
5. "The Perfect Space" - The Avett Brothers
6. "Fairytale of New York" - Dustin Kensrue
7. "I Summon You" - Spoon
8. "Ain't No Easy Way" - BRMC
9. "Oh My Sweet Carolina" - Ryan Adams
10. "Her Command" - The Growlers
11. "Genius" - Kings of Leon
12. "It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry" - Glasvegas
13. "I Wish I Was The Moon" - Neko Case
14. "Road To Joy" - Bright Eyes
15. "What Ever Happened" - The Strokes
16. "These Days" - Nico
17. "The '59 Sound" - The Gaslight Anthem
18. "Ten Years Older" - Jarrod Gorbel
19. "Hard Luck Story" - Whiskeytown
20. "Mix Tapes/Cell Mates" - Rocky Votolato

- Amy
Listening to: Don McClean's "American Pie"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails