Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Yellow Fever, Aesthetic Apparatus, and Radical Face


I was looking through my inspiration folder for ideas today. OK, that sentence made me sound like one of those inspiration/motivation junkies that watch too much Oprah and listen to too much Tony Robbins. If I ever say I've had an "Aha!" moment, then it's time to worry, but I really just keep the folder for when I get designers block. Isaac Newton said it well, “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” Nothing is new under the sun, and the sooner we cope with that fact and stop trying to come up with something brand new is the sooner we can draw on what the greats who have gone before us have to offer and make it our own.

That being said, here are a few of the contents of that folder that I collected a while back. They are a couple of posters from Aesthetic Apparatus. ANYTIME I'm looking for a creative pick-me-up, I go straight to this site. It's like crack for designers, artists and the creatively inclined. It's an endless black hole of amazing poster after amazing poster. The fonts, the colors, the composition - I don't think there's a bad one on the site. If a black hole were ever something you wanted to get sucked into, this one is it. Once you've clicked on the site, you may have well just sat down in the used vinyls section at Goodwill, because you WILL be there for at least two hours thumbing through page after page of the site. 

Here are four AA posters that were in the running to be included in my room. I love the yellow! And the multiplied overlapping elements. I ended up getting two other ones. It's times like these that I wish I had a house with endless blank walls to hang all the amazing posters and art I find. Enjoy!

- Amy
On my iTunes: Radical Face's "Welcome Home Son"




3 comments:

  1. ok i'm officially reinspired to work on my logo. haha. thanks ames! the yellows and golds are so pretty. those minneapolis masterminds of print...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy: A metaphor is like a simile.

    Whenever I feel the same about my work, I quote Ray Bradbury: "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails