Friday, April 8, 2011

The Beauty of Illustration, Evgeny Parfenov, and Regina Spektor

[He even nailed the lazy eye. ©Evgeny Parfenov]


INSPIRATION OF THE DAY: Evgeny Parfenov

I was talking to my friend (and now artist rep) Austin James Ranson recently about how I always used to want to illustrate for Rolling Stone or Spin Magazine. They always have the most beautiful illustrations of artists. I've always loved illustration, because unlike fine art (which can tend to be high-brow and inaccessible) illustration is an art form meant to be enjoyed by the masses. I feel like it's one of the few artforms that isn't waiting, stuck in some gallery, to be sought and found, but is rather seeking viewers itself via the marketing, advertising, news, or media utilizing it. It meets people where they're at and brings a bit of beauty into their lives. 


I like the work of this guy Evgeny Parfenov. As you may have guessed from the abundance of consonants and lack of vowels in his name, he is Russian. He's illustrated everyone from Morrissey to Thom York to NAS. Three thumbs way up. Check out his work below. Be inspired. 


- Amy
Listening to: Another Russian- Miss Regina Spektor's "Bartender"


I used to hate Regina Spektor. Mainly because the only song I had heard was "Fidelity" which still sort of drives me nuts with the bird noises she makes. But I love her now! [Sara, if you're reading this, you were right.] She, along with singers like Caleb Followill and Matt Vasquez, remind me of those monkeys at the zoo that like to hear themselves make noises. In the same way that babies do. It's wonderfully shameless! Which is my new motto for 2011: "No Shame." 

[©Evgeny Parfenov]

[©Evgeny Parfenov]

[©Evgeny Parfenov]

[©Evgeny Parfenov]

[©Evgeny Parfenov]

[©Evgeny Parfenov]

[©Evgeny Parfenov]

[©Evgeny Parfenov]

[©Evgeny Parfenov]

[©Evgeny Parfenov]

3 comments:

  1. Amy: I teach a course in Pop Art. Recently, I purchased a book-set on sale at Barnes & Noble called Rolling Stone Cover to Cover. It comes with a book, pictures of all the covers, a year's subscription to the magazine, and CDs containing ALL the back issues of Rolling Stone. It regularly sells for about $150.00, but it is on sale for $24.99. The sale might still be on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog is so cute and amazing!!
    if you want you'll be my follower:)
    XOXO
    www.stylestarmjonas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. eeee-gaad-zooks! i am awe struck by this artist! the Thom Yorke depiction is amazeballs!!!! i agree whole heartedly with your take on illustration, it so appeals to me too. high fives on the great share.

    you know what else (and other girls may shudder) i used to not get the whole Regina Spektor fascination either. then i was with a gf who was obsessed with her music for a long car ride down to Seattle. it was on constantly and grew on me. then i finally saw her live and fell madly in love. now i GET IT! and am just another RS fan-o-matic. baha! super motto - it's a keeper! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails