Sunday, August 7, 2011

Elvis Costello Look-A-Likes, Dive Bars, & The Inspiring Mickey Smith



I was chit chatting with this hilarious New Yorker who looked like Elvis Costellos' long lost twin (horn rimmed glasses, hair, teeth and all) the other night at this local dive bar I like to frequent. We were talking with this other couple, who were also sharp-tongued New Yorkers, about Ireland and England and how beautiful they are. Then somehow the conversation jumped randomly (as typical incoherent, hard-to-follow bar conversations often do) to surfing. It reminded me of a video my friend had posted a while back from Cornish surf photographer, Mickey Smith called Darkside of The Lens. [Finders fee to the talented Chris Steblay.] I was raving to these New Yorkers about how beautiful this short film was and how they had to go home and google it. I was only one heffeweizen in, but Elvis was on his 3rd Merlot and the lovebirds were each on their 4th Lemon Drop, so whether or not they followed my eager recommendation I will never know. But I am here telling you dear readers now - who I assume are sober, reasoning adults/tweens/chillun' - that you should watch the below video. It has passion, beauty, danger, and the deep reveries of an artist recited in a thick Cornish accent. All the elements that make for inspiration.

Be inspired. 

-Amy
Listening to: The Pogues' "Fairytale of New York"



DARK SIDE OF THE LENS from Astray Films on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails